2021 Cannes Writers Residency (CannesFilms Unlimited)
The Black List is excited to partner with Canal+, Vivendi, the Festival de Cannes, the Université Côte d'Azur and the City of Cannes on the 2021 CannesFilms Unlimited Writers Residency in Cannes, France. Participants in the Residency will develop a new original European film or TV series, in English, in accordance with the brief below.
SUBMISSION PROCESS AND PROGRAM
Opt-ins will be open on the Black List website starting Monday, September 14, 2020 and will close at midnight on Sunday, November 8, 2020. On Monday, November 9, 2020, up to 30 writers will be invited, based on the strength of their scripts as determined by the Black List, to submit the following additional application materials in order to be considered further:
- Short Project Pitch (5 sentences)
- Project Synopsis (3 pages)
- Letter of Intent (outlining your artistic vision of the project and the reasons why you chose this subject)
- Personal Statement (on why you would be an ideal candidate for the Residency)
- Professional Resume/CV
These materials will be due by the finalists by 12:00PM PST on Friday, November 20, 2020.
In December 2020, 18 writers will be selected for the first round of the residency, a two-month-long online program during which they will write a ten page treatment for their film or television series. They will meet regularly with mentors and participate in master classes led by industry professionals.
Following the online program, each writer will pitch their film or television series in March 2021 to a jury of industry professionals, including Canal+ and the Black List. From those 18 pitches, eight writers will be selected to attend the three-week-long residency in Cannes, France in May 2021. There they will outline their film and attend the 2021 Cannes Film Festival.
Your film or television series idea, and the resulting treatment, must reflect the European imagination. Europe and its history should act as an inexhaustible source of inspiration, with its rich subject matter, various heroes (real and fictitious) and emblematic places offering up their storytelling potential. With your original projects, this Residency aims to highlight stories from and about Europe that are not often seen in film or on television, while promoting the creation of universal stories with an international scope.
Please choose from one of the two following themes:
- Inspirational stories of social advancement (films that would be similar thematically include THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, TRADING PLACES (1983), ROCKY, GOOD WILL HUNTING, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, BARRY LYNDON, and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN)
- Stories of heroism (films that would be similar thematically include GLADIATOR THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, ROCKY, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, FORREST GUMP, DIE HARD, SULLY, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, HIGH NOON, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, ERIN BROCKOVICH, THE COLOR PURPLE)
Writers may also apply directly to CannesFilms Unlimited on the program website.Register