2019 Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship at the Sundance Film Festival
The Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship is an annual program designed to encourage and identify new talent in the field of independent cinema by awarding two screenwriters each year with an all-expenses paid trip to the Sundance Film Festival and an opportunity to meet with producer Cassian Elwes (Lee Daniels' The Butler, Ain't Them Bodies Saints).
Unrepresented feature writers with an independent sensibility who have made less than $5,000 in aggregate in their film or television writing careers will be able to opt into consideration via the Black List website until November 9, 2018. At that time, the Black List will choose ten screenplays by unrepresented writers, imbued with an independent spirit by unrepresented screenwriters, which will be sent on to Mr. Elwes for his consideration. Two fellowship recipients will be selected by Mr. Elwes by calendar year's end.
Evaluations purchased before midnight on October 9, 2018 will be guaranteed consideration. The Black List recommends—but does not require—that writers obtain at least one script evaluation for their hosted scripts, as the data from script evaluations inform the process by which the short list of writers is determined for this opportunity.
Check out our FAQ for more information on how to obtain hosting and evaluations at no cost, and for more details on the 2019 Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship.
Requirements are as follows:
• Entrant must host a script on blcklst.com for at least one week during the submission period.
• Entrant must be the sole and exclusive author of the screenplay submitted.
• Entrant agrees to the terms of the submission agreement.
• Entrant must be over the age of 18 and competent to contract.
•Entrant must not have earned more than $5,000 in the aggregate in connection with any prior film or television writing work.
• Entrant must not be represented by an agent or manager in the film or television industry at the time Entrant opts into this program.
• If selected, Entrant is available to be flown to Park City, Utah from a major American airport in order to attend the Sundance Film
• Festival on or about January 24. Please note, in the event Entrant is selected but is not able to attend the Sundance Film Festival on such date, Mr. Elwes will have the right, but not the obligation, to award the Fellowship to the runner up.
All expenses includes air travel (coach class roundtrip flights within the continental United States (if available and if used)), ground transport to and from the airport in Salt Lake City and all Sundance events, and accommodations (room and tax only) will be provided by The Black List, LLC. Meals will also be provided. If accepted, participants will be required to board in the provided accommodations for the duration of the program and, if air travel is required, must be available to be flown to Salt Lake City from a major airport within the continental United States.
The Black List reserves the right to choose no candidate to receive the Fellowship if, in the opinion of The Black List, no entry is of sufficient merit.