2017 Annual Black List Feature Lab
The Black List will invite six to eight promising non-professional writers as identified by the Black List to a weeklong, intensive writers workshop in Los Angeles, CA from October 8-14. 2017. All writers involved in the Lab will workshop one feature screenplay through one-on-one sessions with each screenwriting mentor and in peer workshops. The weeklong program will also include attendance at several story-related events including screenings and Q&As with professional screenwriters and dinner with lit agents and managers.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The selection process will work like this:
Up to 15 writers will be invited, based on the strength of their pilot scripts as determined by the Black List, to submit a one-page personal statement and professional resume. From those submissions, 6-8 writers will be selected by the Black List to participate in the Lab.
SLOAN FOUNDATION FELLOWSHIP
Writers are also available to opt in to the 2017 Sloan Foundation Fellowship.
The Black List’s 2017 Sloan Foundation Fellow at the 4th Annual Black List Feature Screenwriters Lab will be a science- and technology-focused writer with a science-rooted feature screenplay. Mentoring opportunities for the Sloan Fellow will continue throughout the year following the Lab. Writers will have the opportunity to be considered for this fellowship by selecting the “Sloan Foundation Fellow” option during the opt-in process.
Writers applying for the Sloan Fellowship are encouraged to have a science advisor for the project. Scripts that are selected for the short list will be asked to submit the name and title of the advisor, a brief description of their scientific area of expertise, and a statement that he/or she has read the script and attests that it is accurate. Writers are encouraged to submit this information in advance of the short list announcement as well.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
Air Travel (coach class roundtrip flights within the continental United States (if available and if used)), ground transport to and from the airport in Los Angeles and all Feature Lab events, and accommodations (room and tax only)* will be provided by the Black List. Meals will also be provided. The Feature Lab is a residential program.
* If you are accepted into the Lab, you will be required to board in the provided accommodations for the duration of the program and, if air travel is required, must be available to be flown to Los Angeles from a major airport within the continental United States.
Submission Period Opens June 23, 2017
Evaluations Deadline (optional)* July 27, 2017
Submission Period Closes August 27, 2017
Short List Writers Notified August 28, 2017
Personal Statements Due August 31, 2017
Final Participants Notified September 5, 2017
Lab Begins October 8, 2017
* In order for new script evaluations to qualify for consideration for the Lab, they must be purchased by midnight on the Evaluations Deadline. Please note, purchase of an evaluation is not required for consideration to participate in The Feature Lab.
Please make sure you meet the below criteria before opting in:
* You are the sole and exclusive author of the feature screenplay submitted for consideration.
* You have not received more than $100K in aggregate to date as compensation for film or television writing work.
* If selected on August 28, 2017 as one of the up to fifteen writers invited to submit a professional resume and one page personal statement for additional consideration, you will deliver that personal statement by noon PST on August 31, 2017.
* If selected for participation in the Lab program on September 5, 2017, you are available to participate in the Lab program in Los Angeles, CA on October 8-14, 2017.