The New Zeland Writers Guild
Who we are
The New Zealand Writers Guild / Te Puni Taatuhi O Aotearoa is a professional association of script writers. We represent the professional interests of writers in the fields of film, television, theatre, radio, comics and new media. The Guild’s members include most of the professional script writers working in New Zealand.
We are committed to working in a way that adheres to the spirit and the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi – the founding document of Aotearoa / New Zealand.
Benefits of Joining
What we do
- Organise writers
- Publish and provide information and advice to writers
- Lobby government to improve conditions for writers
- Represent writers with funding bodies and other industry organisations
- Comment about matters pertinent to writers
- Provide template contracts and agreements
- Provide opportunities for skill development
- Register intellectual property
- Arbitrate on script credits
The NZWG exists to support writers. Membership of the NZWG enables you to increase the bargaining power and standing of all script writers and, therefore, your own power.
NZWG Members receive free legal advice on contracts within the screen industry, advice on recommended rates of pay for scriptwriters, the weekly e-bulletin via email, access to the NZWG library and reduced rates on registration and access to a script reader (assessment) service. Membership gains you member rates to workshops and discounts to other industry events. Your membership card will also entitle you to a variety of discounts with bookstores, theatres, film festivals and lots more.
History of the guild
The Guild is governed by a Constitution which sets out the aims and objectives of the organisation and provides guidelines for how the Guild is to function.
The Guild is affiliated to three major union organisations, the New Zealand Council of Trade Unions (NZCTU), the International Affiliation of Writers Guilds (IAWG) and Union Network International (UNI). Read more about these affiliations here.
More resources and information, including tailored advice and mentoring, is available to members upon contacting the NZWG.
The business of writing
The NZWG has a vast array of information about the business of writing – including contracts, copyright protection, rates, funding and tax. Start by reading through the FAQs about Business or reading The Answers.
The Craft of Writing & Professional Development
Script to Screen is an independent, industry wide initiative, established to develop the culture of screenwriting in Aotearoa / New Zealand. Script to Screen:
- Organises seminars, workshops and events for emerging and established screenwriters
- Runs international scholarships for screenwriters.
- Helps to create a writing environment that encourages innovation and creativity
- Builds relationships with relevant international organisations.
- Works in partnership with other sectors of the film and television industries.
- Promotes the cultural diversity of our nation and honours the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi.